Saturday, December 29, 2012

Looking back

As the year is about to finish, I feel like it is the right time to take a look back at 2012 and review my experiences.

There is one word that is perfect to describe 2012 to me and it is “heavy”. I went through a lot of changes on the professional and personal level and they all cost me tons of energy. Mainly during the first half of the year. It was not easy, but I am glad I survived them all with a much better perspective for 2013. Also because this “heavy” was not always negative, just extremely intense and powerful.

At a certain point, because of all the pressure, countless migraine crisis and many nights awake working, I decided to take my physical training to another level. I simply needed to switch my focus from the office at least for a bit on a regular basis. And for that, I had to find myself a new challenge.

I had already bought the book Body Design from Kris Gethin sometime before, but never put it into practice. The idea of waking up early in the morning just to do cardio was not viable to me. Or better saying, it was not viable until then.

I started following his plan and, to my surprise, my body started to change. Amazing! It was for real and it worked even for me. The migraines dimmed a lot and I was sleeping way much better too. The first signs of change started to appear.

It was then that I began to flirt with the idea of competing. Sincerely, I cannot stress how impressed I was with the direction my figure was taking. I was not becoming a fitness model just like that, but I was getting in shape! Even though I had returned to physical activities in 2010, it was only this year that I did enough to make a long term progress.

After vacation, I started my contest preparation. Things did not go so smooth as planned because of some health issues, but I made it to stage in October. And despite my qualification not being so good (4th out of 5), I had been beaten by the competition bug and was already hooked.

I had plans of participating in a show again in December, but again my health got in the way and I could not attend. It was not an easy decision, but it was surely the best one. Who knows? Maybe next year I can join the fun of the Flex Cup. ;)

Anyways, in spite of all ups and downs, I have to admit that it was a very positive year to me. It was challenging, but very positive. My whole view about life, myself and others changed. Probably because of the hardships, I became a stronger and more positive person; my objectives are even clearer in front of me; and very important, I know exactly what I want and am willing to do the necessary to achieve them.

Some accomplishments had already come true…
  • I am looking forward giving a new direction to my professional career in the beginning of next year. It is something that I have been dreaming about for a while and now it is here. I am counting down the days to start. :P
  • Also, I did my very first photo shoot. I was not in the best shape of my life, but I went through the experience. And I loved it so much that I am already putting ideas together for the next one.
  • Lastly, I started the training to become a Personal Trainer. Since I arrived in Belgium, I haven’t come across one single PT specialized in body building in general. For the “weak” women, there is only cardio. I want to change it, to help others get in shape in a safe and correct manner. I want to be able to share all that I have been learning with others as a PT.

Don't wait until you've reached your goal to be proud of yourself. Be proud of every step you take toward reaching your goal.

The only item from my personal list that will remain pending for next year is getting a sponsor. It was a “nice to have”, but sincerely, there is no rush. I am improving physically every single day, have previous experience in promotion of products and services and love helping and motivating people be successful too. So, I am sure that it is only a matter of time for the “right one” to cross my career. ;)

Finally, I simply cannot talk about 2012 without mentioning  the fantastic people I have been given the chance to get to know (better) this year because they have been playing a major role in my life. I joined Team Bombshell a couple months ago and they have been way much more than I could ever dare dreaming of… Everyone, coaches and athletes, is amazing and dedicated. Their energy is contagious! Specially Shannon Dey (she oversees us all and sometimes I have the feeling that she can read minds), my coach Vanessa Campbell (what a patience she has!), Jaime Baird (I identify myself a lot with her) and Nathalia Melo (I simply would not be here if it was not for her). I will also always be thankful to Kris Gethin (he showed the Path and is always incredibly supportive to everyone) and Cynthia James (not only she makes the best suits ever, she is such an incredible person!).

I am grateful for the people and lessons of this year. I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and I am really thankful for all my experiences.


And your 2012? How was it?


Have a great time and stay strong!

No comments: